Friday, October 27, 2006

Hello from Hue

This is another E-mail sent home during my trip to Vietnam in late 2005.

Original post date: 5 dec 2005

###
Hi Everyone!

I'm still alive, and have traveled a lot more since my
last writing.

Several of you have written back with some great
questions. A big hello to Chuck and Anthea in Austin!

A concern that most of you have is how do the
Vietnamese in the area that I'm visiting think about
Americans.

Some of my stay was in a province called Thai Binh.
This area is about 60 kilometers South of Hanoi and
similar to the Victor Valley in size and population.
During the war, this area was bombed heavily. If there
would be any issue with Americans, it would be in this
area. I was greeted with nothing but kindness and had
absolutely no problems whatsoever being an American
there.

I took a tour through Ha Long Bay & Cat Ba Island.
This area is an incredible sight. Words can't
accurately describe how beautiful it is. Yesterday, I
took a hike through the jungles of Cat Ba Island, and
almost died two or three times. My new girlfriend
saved my life.

I'm currently in Hue, which is the historic capital of
Vietnam during previous dynasties. There is an
emperor's palace similar to the Chinese which I will
be visiting tomorrow. I also have lots of family
around here that haven't been in contact for several
decades.

The Internet cafe here is about to close for the
night, so I need to go. Send your questions or
comments to ###.####.

Bye for now...
###

No comments: