Friday, October 27, 2006

What's been happening

Hi Everyone!

My wife's gallivanting around town somewhere, which gives me another opportunity to write a few more things about what's been happening here.

I want to thank everyone who has written to me so far. It is always endearing to hear from everyone back home, and several of you have really touched my heart. I have read some very heartwarming things that brought tears to my eyes. Thank you very much.

Some of you are wondering what the heck is going on with this funky E-mail that you've received from me. That's because I just added you to my mailing list, and you're about to share my journey through Vietnam over the next couple months. You and everyone else can catch up on what's happened on my blog, which I will discuss a little later. But first... What's Happened So Far?

I arrived at Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi) with my Uncle Hung last Thursday morning (Wednesday for most of you) after an uneventful, but somewhat annoying set of flights from LAX through Taipei, Taiwan that took about 18 hours to complete. The annoying part of the trip was the rude flight attendants on China Airlines. I believe China Air should consider replacing their flight attendants with vending machines, because vending machines don't talk and therefore will not annoy their passengers like their flight attendants do.

We were greeted at the airport by my Uncle Bui, Aunt Ha Bui, cousin Cun and my beloved fiancee' Ha. Ha and I have seen each other only over the Internet since December. My heart was pounding out of my chest when I finally got to hold her again. Words cannot accurately describe how wonderful that moment was for both of us.

This trip will be much different from my last trip in just about every aspect, and that includes accommodations. My family has rented a house in Hanoi for a few months, and we went to it right away. The place is in the Huan Kiem District, which is the epicenter of Hanoi, about 1/2 block East of the Red River and about a kilometer West of Huan Kiem Lake. Basically, it's within walking distance to most of the popular areas of interest in Hanoi.

I took several cat naps during the flight to avoid jet lag, while my Uncle Hung decided to stay up the full 18 hours. Subsequently, my Uncle hit the bed and was out till the next morning, while Ha and I started right away in making up for lost time. We have numerous things to do in preparation for our wedding, and done so many things in a week's time that everything seems to be a blur. Well.. With exception of one thing.

On Monday, Ha, her Dad, her older Brother and two of my uncles traveled to Tuyen Quang. This is a town province about 60 km North of Hanoi. It took about 4 hours to get there, but was well worth the effort. That's where Ha and I obtained our marriage certificate after signing some papers and a short ceremony at the Town government center. So, Ha and I are now legally married or I just joined the Army of the People's Republic of Vietnam (the document's in Vietnamese, and they could be enlistment papers for all I know).

My wife's back, and we're supposed to do some dinner thing tonight. So, I gotta go again...

Take Care!

Dan Harley, Jr.

No comments: